As you’re designing and manufacturing your next application, wouldn’t it be ideal if you could analyze all the parts, compare them to the original drawings and get results quickly, without damage? At Performance Plastics, we have the ability to do this through industrial computed tomography (CT) scan. Giving us the ability to measure all aspects of your part, without having to damage it.
Industrial CT scanning gives you access to the inner workings of a part without having to destroy the original. The scanner rotates the part 360 degrees and uses X-rays to create a precise 3D model. This allows for a thorough analysis of object dimensions, porosity, wall thickness, assembly defects, comprehensive comparisons, and reverse engineering.
The CT scan can then be compared to the CAD model and to other parts. Plus, it can easily analyze surface variations and provide cross sections to reveal hidden features.
Performance Plastics now offer a variety of CT scan-related services:
- Part-to-CAD comparisons create a precise overlay of the scanned part to the original 3D part model database
- Part-to-part comparisons provide an overlay of two scanned parts to reveal dimensional deviation
- Void and inclusion analysis provides material and defect analysis showing void or inclusion size and locations
- Wall thickness analysis measures slight changes in the wall stock of complex parts without destructive testing
- Dimensional analysis provides full article inspections and reporting
- Reverse engineering capabilities that generate a 3D CAD file
Industrial CT scanning can be necessary during five different manufacturing stages. When you’re in pre-production, it can help with the project design and analysis. During production, you can use CT scanning to evaluate consistency. At the failure investigation stage, it will find defects. The CT scanner can run repeatability tests when you’re doing inspections. And if you need design adjustments or are doing further R&D, it can help with reverse engineering.
As for what Performance Plastics can handle when CT scanning:
- Maximum part size is 300mm diameter x 350 mm tall
- Scan time is typically less than one hour
- Accuracy (using Calypso) of 9+L/50 microns
- X-ray-based measurement system is non-contact
- Parts do not require potting
At Performance Plastics, we are experts in injection molding, specializing in high performance plastics for medical device components. Our proprietary tool design software, processes and equipment enable us to injection mold components having complex geometries made from challenging ultra, high-performance thermoplastic materials, and reinforced compounds.
For more information on Performance Plastic’s capabilities, please contact Rich Reed, Vice President of Sales, and Marketing at 513.321.8404 or email at email@example.com